The simplicity of a pair of legs and a pair of shoes means that the sport of running is easily accessible to anyone. So it proves in the Hamilton City Hawks with an active membership aged from six to over seventy.
Within the wide range of ages falls every type of runner – from the most competitive to those for whom running is an easy, natural way of staying fit and healthy.
Club activities are centred at its headquarters at Roose Commerce Park (beside the boat ramp in Grantham St), Hamilton.
Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday afternoons find the clubrooms a hive of activity as members gather to enjoy training runs or competition. After the exertions, they are able to enjoy the comfortable facilities that their well-appointed clubrooms offer.
At the club rooms Roose Commerce Park, Grantham Street, Hamilton.
Tuesday night speedwork 5.20 pm sharp
April – September.
Thursday evening runs 5.30 pm sharp
Throughout the year.
Types of Runs
These are group training runs under the control of the pack leader.
All runners start together at the same time.
Runners race on handicap time, with the slower runners starting before the faster runners.
Operated on scratch runs. Results are announced after the handicapper has analysed times run by each runner.
Team events that are sometimes run around a set circuit sometimes from point to point in stages.
Race Entry Procedure
The Race Secretary takes care of entering members in Waikato Championship, Interclub races and all relay events. To make life easier for that to happen, the following must happen.
- Check the race account sheet in the clubrooms and keep your race account in credit.
- There is a race entry book in the clubrooms. Place your name in this book at least 2 weeks (and preferably more) prior to the event. If for a relay add your home phone number please.
- Once your name is here, you are entered and your race account debited. If you are entered, but do not run, there will be no refund. If you are injured and cannot run in a relay, please contact the team captain or race secretary as soon as possible.
- For relays the club pays the entry fee unless you pull out of a team without informing anyone and then you are charged.
- Note: Every possible effort is made to ensure that relay teams (with telephone contacts and team captain named) will appear in the weekly newsletter on the Thursday a week prior to the event. The captains ring their team members and check they are available and have transport. Teams are then confirmed on the Thursday prior to the event. For this to happen you must get your entry in early. If you do not enter in the race book by the close off time listed in the weekly newsletter, you can’t be entered. Help the selectors by entering relays early.
- National Championships (Cross Country, Road Running, Mountain Running). If you are selected in the Waikato team, you will be entered by Athletics Waikato BOP. You will be required to pay AWBOP for your entry.
- If you are not selected, you may still compete in the National Championships, representing the Hawks. You will be responsible for entering the championships yourself – information will be on the Athletics NZ website www.athletics.org.nz
- National Road Relays
- This year the the National Road Relays will be held in Auckland on 5 October. This will be the club’s major trip of the year and we will be entering as many teams as possible in all grades. Make sure you plan to run in this event, it is not only for the top runners. Those who have run in previous years will tell you how much fun National Road Relays are. You must be fully registered to run in this event.
- The system depends on all members following the system.
- For club races there are NO entry fees. Just turn up and run!